Keep your cool this Christmas
It’s time for jingle bells, madness at the shopping centre and big, merry gatherings with family and friends. In Australia, Christmas time also means it’s the peak of summer, and it’s usually pretty hot outside. This season has already shown us some scorchers, so we really want you to keep cool this Christmas, and throughout summer 2020.
The Hunter Valley is well known for its high temp summers, and the fact is, extreme heat can be dangerous. As we’ve seen throughout late 2019, heat and dry conditions can lead to devastating bushfires. In addition, extreme heat of any kind can cause serious health concerns. Each year, hundreds of people die, and many more are treated in hospital for heat-related illness. The elderly and the very young, as well as those who are chronically ill are the most susceptible to trauma from the heat.
Aside from spending as much time as possible in your air-conditioned home, there’s a few more things you can do to stay cool this summer:
- If you don’t have air-con at home, visit a friend or public place that does. Normally we’d recommend the local shopping centre, but at Christmas time you’ll likely spend too long trying to find a car park.
- If you have a ceiling fan, turn it on with the air-con to boost the effect. This way, you can even turn up the thermostat to help save you on your power bills!
- Drink more water and stay well-hydrated.
- Limit the time spent cooking in the kitchen.
- If you must be outside during the really hot days, remember to wear a hat and sunscreen.
- Wear loose-fitting, light-coloured clothing.
- Take cold showers or have a cool bath. If you don’t have a pool at home, take the family for a swim at the local pool or the beach, but avoid the heat of the day.
- Be sensible with working out and sports. Don’t go running in extreme heat, and when you do exercise, dress appropriately and keep hydrated.
If you’d like to stay cool this summer using your air-conditioner, now is a good time to have the system serviced to make sure it’s running efficiently. This way, it will keep you comfortable all summer long, and you’ll have peace of mind knowing it’s running at optimal efficiency. This is good news for your electricity bill. To book an installation or service, call our friendly team at Clements on 4932 3833.